Privacy: It's all about you
The Office of the Australian Information Commissioner's theme for Privacy Awareness Week 2011 is Privacy: It's all about you.
During Privacy Awareness Week, we are encouraging people to exercise their privacy rights and to take steps to make sure their personal information is handled appropriately.
We are also reminding business and Australian and ACT Government agencies and the Norfolk Island administration that they have responsibilities under the Privacy Act 1988 to protect the personal information that they collect and handle.
Sunday 1 May
Monday 2 May
- Launch of Privacy Awareness Week, including launch of Asia Pacific Privacy Authorities social networking and privacy survey and animation
- Australian Privacy Commissioner Timothy Pilgrim speaks with Deborah Cameron 702ABC Sydney
- Australian Privacy Commissioner Timothy Pilgrim will join Victorian Privacy Commissioner Helen Versey at an event to discuss the use and disclosure of personal and health information, e-health and service delivery reform at the Victorian Department of Human Services. This presentation will be filmed and screened at regional offices in Geelong and Wangaratta during Privacy Awareness Week.
Tuesday 3 May
- Australian Information Commissioner Professor John McMillan will launch Information Awareness Month 2011, a collaborative event between various bodies within the records, archives, library, knowledge, information and data management communities and now in its sixth year. The theme for IAM 2011 is Information overload: Finding the tree in the digital forest. Professor McMillan will also discuss Privacy Awareness Week.
- Launch of 2011 privacy case notes
Wednesday 4 May
- Australian Privacy Commissioner Timothy Pilgrim will speak about privacy issues relating to marketers in new online channels including collection of personal information from public sources and online behavioural advertising at a Privacy Awareness Week cocktail event hosted by the Australian Direct Marketing Association (ADMA)
- Launch of online behavioural advertising fact sheet
Thursday 5 May
- Australian Information Commissioner Professor McMillan will address staff from the Department of Human Services about protecting privacy rights, handling personal information and Australian privacy law reform
Friday 6 May
In addition to the survey and animation on social networking and privacy we developed with the Asia Pacific Privacy Authorities, we have produced a range of awareness materials for you to use during Privacy Awareness Week.